CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Saying Thank You

A few months ago I wrote about a meeting I attended at the Levine Children's Hospital for a potential to serve on their Family Advisory Council. This council is for parents of previously hospitalized children and works with the hospital to improve their goal of family-centered care. Seemed like a really neat way for me to give back, considering a monetary gift isn't an option now. I was blown away by the parents I met at that meeting and their stories. There wasn't an ounce of doubt in my mind that I wanted to be on the council. However, our story was so minor compared to all the ones I heard that day. These parents had sick kids - and I mean REALLY sick kids. Campbell was really sick, but she was curable. We spent twelve days in the hospital total, whereas some of these families have spent years of their lives in and out of the hospital. This council is chosen based on applications. They had a huge interest and could only select those families that they felt could bring a new perspective to the council. Therefore, I was doubtful that I'd be picked. I put some thought into writing my application. I even ended by saying that I understood that I may not be what they are looking for. My plea was that I be considered because there are many parents like us with sick kids...who will get better. That didn't make it any easier for us when we were faced with Campbell's hospital stay. We represent the parents whose stay may be short, but the feelings of helplessness and worry are still very real. I asked that they consider my perspective and my desire to help, and that if they didn't choose me, I understood and would still like to volunteer in the future. Further, from our short stay, I didn't have much that I'd like to change about the hospital. Instead, I just wanted to say thanks. And the best way I could find to do that was to be a part of a council like this.

Two months later, I got the word that I was chosen! I was so excited, I can't even tell you. I just feel like this is a phenomenal way to celebrate Campbell's complete and speedy recovery from the potentially fatal bacterial infection she was born with. Today was our first meeting. We spent the majority of the time telling our stories and getting to know each other. Next month we'll get down to business and start finding ways to suggest positive changes at the hospital. But wow...what an inspiring and humbling morning to sit in a room among all those brave parents. The only wavering voice while telling their story was my own! I had the least sick child of everyone there, and yet I was the only one nearly in tears while talking. I think the other parents have become so used to the sickness, they are somewhat desensitized when it comes to talking about it. I, on the other hand, don't relive it too often. So it is fairly emotional for me to recall the first few days of Campbell's life and the fear Travis and I experienced. On top of that, their stories were so touching that I was already an emotional basketcase by the time it was my turn!! It is really an honor to serve on this council and I'm excited to really get started next month! I feel really good that just a little over a year later, this is finally my way to say THANK YOU for sending me home with a healthy baby.

My "reason for being thankful" was the only child in the nursery they provided today! She did extremely well for over 3 hours, in a new church, with a babysitter she'd never laid eyes on. Apparently she didn't fuss once, played hard, ate a huge lunch, and even took a little nap. I was so relieved and so proud of how she did. You've gotta remember, I'm a stay at home mom, so it's a big deal for Campbell to do something like this. (And for me too!) And I'll tell you what, after hearing the stories I heard today, I will think twice before I complain about Campbell's food allergies!! It was really nice to get a healthy dose of a perspective and such powerful reminders of how blessed we are to have our health.

0 comments: