CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Good, The Bad, The Prego

After some reflection, here are my lists of the good and the...not so good...aspects of being pregnant.

The Not-S0-Good:
(Disclaimer: I have been extremely blessed by an uneventful and healthy pregnancy so far. I feel great overall, but of course there are frustrations which I'm listing below. They DO NOT interfere with my sentiment of loving being pregnant).
(1) Waking up each day to discover a new ache. Will it be the chest muscle I pulled, and have no idea when or how? Will it be my elbow (yes, it hurts too)? Will it be my back, heartburn, my head? What will ache tomorrow?
(2) "The Sisterhood of the Tiny Pants": At 5 months pregnant, I tried on a pair of my sister's maternity pants that she was going to lend me, and they stopped at my thighs. I said, "Oh you must have worn these early on in the pregnancy". Scared to death, Jen admitted that she was wearing those pants the day she went into labor.
(3) Pants in general. So I finally broke down and bought some really big pants, and now I can't keep them on. I need big pants for this enormous belly, but without a waistline, it is virtually impossible to keep a pair of pants on.
(4) Borrowing my husband's belt, only to find that even at the loosest hole, it wouldn't comfortably fit around my non-waist. This was supposed to be the quick fix for #3. The pants problem remains unsolved.
(5) The endless to-do lists. No explanation needed.
(6) Seatbelts and shoes with laces - two examples of items not designed with a pregnant woman's body in mind. I encounter a lot of places where I don't fit - like when I put in my contacts in the morning, but can't get close enough to the mirror to see my eyeball because the vanity and the belly meet first.
(7) Meeting another pregnant woman who is smaller than me, and finding out her due date is like a week away. This has happened on several occasions.
(8) Some cruel person who said that pregnant women should not eat anything with raw eggs in it under any circumstances. What about when you make brownies??? Or cake? You wash the bowl without licking it first? Something just doesn't seem right to me.
(9) The inexplicable tears. They don't show up all that often, but when they do, it's bad.
(10) The stinking dresser that was damaged and then slow to arrive. It's supposed to be delivered on Tuesday, keep your fingers crossed that this item will move to the good list on Tuesday.

The Good:
(1) When Baby J feels like she's playing Wii boxing. The big kicks always make me smile.
(2) Watching the belly shift, and seeing her move from one side to the other. It's a little creepy-looking, but very cool.
(3) Feeling something hard and realizing it's probably a tiny baby hiney or a foot sticking out. And if I push on it, I get kicked. I love it that she has a little attitude already!
(4) I picture Travis coming around the corner to tell our families that Baby J has arrived, and announcing her much anticipated name. This daydream sends me to tears almost every time.
(5) Watching episode after episode of A Baby Story and trying to picture Travis and I as the stars of the show.
(6) Although it is somewhat related to #5 in the not-so-good list, I do enjoy getting Baby J's room ready. I have a vision and it's slowly starting to come together. Baby stuff is so adorable!
(7) The excitement that I can see and hear each time we talk to our families and our friends. So many people are behind us, and that makes it even more exciting for us as we approach the end.
(8) Eating whatever I want without guilt. Baby J has a sweet tooth that I never had, and it has been delightful to feed her ice cream on demand.
(9) Having a due date in January will allow me half of a year before it's bathing suit season again. Can I get a heck yeah for that??
(10) Having a sweet husband that is so genuinely excited about the birth of his little girl and so supportive of me. He's going to be such a natural at this, I see it in so many things he already does, and I just cannot WAIT to see him as a Daddy.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hi Sara,
This is Jennifer (Marketing Dept) at BOB. We saw your post about your BOB Stroller and loved it! We would like to include it in our blog. Please contact me at jennifer@bobgear.com or via phone 208.350.7584

Clare said...

look at you, getting free stuff for your blog, i am jealous!!

love that you watch the baby story over and over, i soooo did that. i had it on tivo...

love all of your funny things, i have forgetten a lot of them, but trying to put on contacts and driving are much harder prego!

hope you are well:)