CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I Wish I Had A Dime...

I wish I had a dime for everytime someone commented on the enormity of my belly. (Is enormity a word? It is now.) Normally I am one to get my feelings hurt pretty easily. So I'm surprised that the hilarious comments people make about my size do not offend me. I guess it's because, yes, I am large and in charge, and I love the reason I am large and in charge! So it doesn't bother me when people comment on "how huge I am" because in a way I'm proud of it. Very proud of it! In fact, it's kinda fun to have a big basketball on the front of you that lets the world know how excited you are to be carrying a precious baby around. Now if they said, wow your thighs have really grown too...that would be a different story....

I wish I had a dime for everytime someone asked us if we were having twins, and when we say no, they say...are you sure? I wish I had a dime for everytime someone said...January 1st? Are you sure about that? I wish I had a dime for everytime I could see the wheels turning in people's heads as they try to calculate whether or not I was pregnant at our wedding (like there's no way I could be this big if I was only this far along). I was not (for the record), but I really find that to be one of the funnier ones. Equally as funny is how quickly I pipe in and say...we got married in March and pregnant in April! So, I wish I had a dime for everytime I felt the need to justify our timeframe to people, as if it really matters!

I'd like to share a few of my personal favorites...and again...in a strange way I enjoy these comments. So I hope I don't sound bitter. It's just kind of shocking to me sometimes that people say these things outloud, rather than just thinking them to themselves. Travis and I really get a kick out of it, so as long as the comments remain focused on the growth of my belly only, keep 'em coming!

#1: I'm walking Lexi by myself. A woman passes with her dog, and she says, "So is this the walk to speed things up? Get things going?" I thought at first she was referring to how terribly slow Lexi was walking, that she was being sarcastic. Then a gesture towards my belly made me realize she thought I was walking the dog to induce labor. I replied, "I sure hope not, I'm not due for three and a half months!!" Strangelyenough, she didn't have much to say after that.

#2: A girl in my real estate class passes me in the hall on a break while I'm on the phone with Travis. She says to me, along with a belly gesture, "Wow, you look BIG today!" And then once I'm off the phone she clarifies with "I think it looks bigger today, I mean REALLY big, bigger than Monday! Don't you think so?"

#3: The instructor in my real estate class calls us one-by-one up front to collect our certificates. He congratulates me in advance for the birth of my child and says, "I forgot, when did you say you were due?" Before I can answer, someone in the class yells out "Tomorrow!" and everyone chimes in. I reply with, "No, it's actually New Year's Day." And shock fell over the room...

#4: My favorite, for creativity. A neighbor asks, "When are you due?" I say, "January 1st." Neighbor says, "Good grief, which January was that, last January?"

In case you haven't had the pleasure of seeing me, here I am! I hesitated to post this, because the camera and I aren't best friends these days. I think the camera adds more than 10 pounds... :) But hey, that's what being pregnant is all about! This is my belly today at 27 weeks.


Speaking of 27 weeks, below I will post a little excerpt from online as to what Baby J is up to these days. Since today is October 1, I guess I can say I'm due three months from today!! She is extremely active and I am really enjoying feeling all the kicks and punches. So far, they don't hurt a bit and are so fun to feel and watch that big belly move. I have felt her hiccups too, which are so cute. For the first time today, I think I have cankles (i.e. swollen feet), but I feel great overall other than a little difficulty sleeping. Happy 27 weeks, Baby J!!

This week, your baby weighs almost 2 pounds (like a head of cauliflower) and is about 14 1/2 inches long with her legs extended. She's sleeping and waking at regular intervals, opening and closing her eyes, and perhaps even sucking her fingers. With more brain tissue developing, your baby's brain is very active now. While her lungs are still immature, they would be capable of functioning — with a lot of medical help — if she were to be born now. Chalk up any tiny rhythmic movements you may be feeling to a case of baby hiccups, which may be common from now on.

0 comments: