CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Playdates Galore!

This past week, Travis was working in New York. We dropped him off at the airport Sunday night (sniff sniff) and didn't get to pick him back up until Friday night! My hat goes off to all the single parents out there. My job as a mommy is so much harder when I don't have a daddy here with me. It's just the little things, like tackling bathtime with the two of us, keeping her occupied while I straighten up or make a meal. On top of missing Travis as my helper, I missed him as my companion! He could've caught a ride home from the airport with a co-worker on Friday night, but Campbell and I couldn't stand one more minute without him. So we put on our pj's and went down there Friday night to welcome him with open arms! I think it just about killed him to be away from his little angel all week. He typically doesn't travel much at all, but unfortunately will have to go out of town a few times this fall. We'll survive, but we sure did miss you, Daddy!

I pretty much set up an obstacle course in the living room this week. Drug all the toys in there from the playroom, strategically placed the baby gates, moved the ottomans, and set up a place where she could safely play. This allowed me a little more freedom to do stuff in the kitchen and still be able to see her. Oh...and she may have been allowed to watch a little more TV than usual. Above, one of her favorite shows, The Notekins!

The days of sitting down and playing with a toy are long gone. She's on the move! She walks from toy to toy, from the couch to me, she balances for long periods of time, and is up to about 7 or 8 steps on her own. It won't be long before she's running through this house!

Because we were on our own, Campbell and I made sure we had plans everyday last week. On Monday we had to run into my office and run a work-related errand. From that point on, it was Playdates Galore!!

On Tuesday, my friend Mary and her 5-week old daughter, Helen, came over to "play." OK, so Helen doesn't really play yet. But Campbell sure does! Mary and I talked and ate and watched sweet Helen nap and "be cute", and Campbell worked on her walking skills. Later in the day we took a long walk around the 'hood because the weather was bordering on perfect. Shame on me, I didn't take a single picture. Now Mary's blog and my blog have no fun pictures to share from our playdate.

On Wednesday, Travis' mom and Nanny came down for the day. They arrived around lunchtime and then stayed through the afternoon. Gangy had recently had some quality time with Campbell on our trip to the wedding. But Nanny rarely gets to see Campbell in her own element. She was SO excited to see Campbell playing with her toys, taking all sorts of steps as she stumbles all over the room, and babbling up a storm. Campbell and I really enjoyed family time. Gangy was amazed to see how well Campbell is walking when she wasn't able to do that just a couple of weekends ago. Once again, shame on me, I didn't take a single picture.

Thursday rolled around and Campbell and I headed to Oasis in the morning. By afternoon, it was another picture perfect fall day here in sunny Carolina. We headed down the street to Thirsty Thursday with the neighborhood kiddos and moms. This was a huge turning point for Campbell - this is the first playdate where Campbell was actually in on the action. She played! She really, really played! I was in heaven. I was squealing and laughing the whole time, so excited to see my baby girl hanging with the big kids. She's the baby of the group in the neighborhood, and all the older kids loved seeing the "baby" play with them. For the first time, I got to sit with the moms and chat, rather than be seated on the ground with Campbell trying to entertain her. She was playing with her friends, and I was absolutely delighted! Campbell had a ball...you should've seen her face. She thought she was hot stuff playing with the big kids. Once again, I didn't take a single picture. But...my friend Meg came to the rescue with these cute pictures. Thirsty Thursdays rock!


So Ryan, come here often?

Totally in on the action


Brendan, my man...how has your week been? I haven't seen you around the neighborhood lately! We should get together...
OK, sorry for the cheesy captions. Quite the opposite, Campbell is actually proving to be quite shy! Not really with other kids, but with adults. It is adorable. Whenever anyone speaks to her or looks at her in public, it's like her ear is glued to her shoulder. She tilts her head and tries to look away...and always gets a big "awwwww" from whoever is speaking to her. I don't want to encourage shyness, but it's oh-so-cute and I think harmless at this point in the game. I guess that's just one more way Campbell is like her Daddy. We all know that doesn't come from me!
Friday was a blah day - I wasn't feeling good at all and we had to cancel a playdate with Hunter and his mom, Dana. We are hoping to reschedule for this week before Hunter becomes a big brother!! Once I was feeling a little better that afternoon, Campbell and I ran out and got her some new walking shoes! I'm so used to just letting her hang out in a pair of socks or barefoot. But as it gets colder outside, and as she is perfecting her walking skills, she needs a good pair of kicks. I took her to some fancy schmancy baby boutique and got her the "it" shoes for new walkers. She is doing really well in them so far! Friday night Daddy came home and the Justice family was thrilled to be together again. :)
Unfortunately the Panthers had a home game this weekend so Travis had to work Saturday afternoon and again all day today. (It is also unfortunate that the Panthers played an absolutely embarrassing game today. Ouch.) When Travis left for the stadium Saturday afternoon, Campbell and I went to her friend Julianna's first birthday party. Below are a few pictures from Campbell's first party as well a couple of Campbell dressed up for church this morning. Please note the funky tights...love it!
Giving Julianna a pat on the back for being one year old
Playing with a pink hippo she picked out from the pinata

Campbell is in bed early tonight after a long and fun week of playing hard. I'm off to pour a hot cup of hazelnut decaf, make a small bowl of light cookies and cream ice cream, and cuddle up with my book and wait for Travis to come home!

1 comments:

Clare said...

you had a busy week my friend!! she is so big now, i can't believe it!