CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 22, 2010

Eavesdropping

One of my favorite things to do is to eavesdrop. On Travis and Campbell. Most nights, it's Travis' job to put Campbell to bed. If he is at work too late, or if she is pitching a Mommy-fit (which she does on rare occasions), I will. But otherwise, that is special time with Daddy and daughter. I am usually downstairs trying to find a place for all our dirty dinner dishes, or maybe in our room changing into comfy clothes. Either place, there is a monitor and I hear it all go down. And let me tell you, sweetest sound in the universe.


Just recently we started changing the routine a bit so that Campbell has her sippy cup of milk (soymilk of course) before bedtime. I've also started bathing her after dinner most nights. I find that she is much more cooperative in the bathtub if I don't wait until she's overtired to do it. And then her hair has time to dry and she can unwind for a little while in her pj's before Daddy gets home from work. So when bedtime finally rolls around about 7:30ish, it's just time for books and cuddling.

Campbell goes through phases with different books she's obsessed with. These days, it's "Pat the Bunny." (NOT a favorite for Travis and I, but we let her pick!) Any given night, I hear Travis read it at least 3 times in a row because it's so short. She'd rather hear it over and over again than switch to a new book. Hopefully next week it'll be something different! Then I hear a bunch of rustling around on the monitor. He tells me this is usually the point when she insists on getting down, takes a few laps around her room looking for something fun to do. Finding nothing, she always returns to Daddy's lap and that's when she snuggles up. I hear his gentle voice tell her it's time to get in her bed and go night-night, and that he loves her and will see her in the morning. I tell you, it gets me every time!!! It gives me the sweetest mental picture to know he's tucking her into bed. I just love eavesdropping on them.

Just for the record...she is usually great at bedtime. But she isn't without fault. So yes, some nights he does all the same things, and I hear wailing in her room because she just isn't ready to call it a night yet. But for the most part, bedtime is pretty easy these days and a time I just love to listen to Travis and Campbell together.

One final note - a week from today is our ultrasound where we hope to find out whether Campbell is getting a sister or a brother!!!

0 comments: