CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Meeting Baby Leif














Last week, Campbell and I journeyed to Virginia to meet my nephew, Baby Leif. (I will explain below why all these pictures are in no order and not moved to the bottom like I usually do). I took Campbell to the pediatrician on Monday and got a pretty clean bill of health. She just had a minor cold and my sister and brother-in-law told me to 'bring it'! Tuesday we drove to Roanoke and spent the night with my parents, giving Campbell another day to shake the cold before meeting the baby. Wednesday we headed up to Northern Virginia. Somehow I survived all these roadtrips, each leg being about 3-4 hours, with Campbell by myself. She did amazing in the car and I was so proud of her.


My sister and I thought Campbell would not even notice Baby Leif. Wrong! She was OBSESSED with him. She was constantly saying 'baby, baby' and would light up every time he made a noise or moved. We often caught her perched on the edge of his pack-n-play, trying to climb the side to see in and look for the baby. Knowing there's going to be a baby at our house this fall, it was interesting to see that she was already so into babies!

It was kind of a crash course for me in dealing with more than one child. I tried on several occasions to manage all three - Taylor, age 3, Campbell, age 14 months, and Baby Leif, age 2.5 weeks. It was far from easy, but not impossible. Campbell was definitely the most difficult of the three. Baby Leif just lays there and looks cute, and Taylor is old enough to follow directions and listen. And then there's Campbell - who just walks around and destroys things! :) Snuggling with Baby Leif was heavenly! You forget how tiny they are, you really do. Just to have a tiny baby laying on my chest, asleep most of the time, inching up higher and higher until his little warm head rested under my chin...ah...perfection!

Taylor and Campbell played REALLY well together. I was super impressed with Taylor. She not only has a new baby brother getting a lot of her parents' attention, but she then had to share all her toys with Campbell. She liked helping me "babysit." One of my favorite quotes of the week came when I asked Taylor to watch Campbell for a minute. They have bookshelves with a sharp corner and I was very paranoid Campbell would fall into the corner. I guess Campbell approached the shelves because I heard Taylor say, "Campbell...that's not a good idea! You are going to bust your head, get a bleed, and then you won't have a brain!" Well said, Taylor! Another favorite memory came one morning when Campbell had woken up early so I brought her into my bed. We were both dozing again when I heard the door to my room open. I kept my eyes closed pretending to be asleep so Taylor would maybe sneak back out and let us sleep some more. Wrong. First she started opening and closing the door, a little louder each time. Then she got on Campbell's side of the bed and started whispering, "Campbell, Campbell!" I was trying so hard not to laugh. I can see these two cousins getting into trouble together later on, and thought it was so cute that Taylor came to get Campbell up. I put Taylor to bed each night I was there and completely choked when it came time to say prayers. I thought, I can handle this, I pray. What I wasn't prepared for were the questions about who is God?!??!?!? Based on my terrible answers, Taylor probably thinks God is some man who lives in her room and "will never leave her." hahahaha I need to read up on teaching my own kids about God!! I realize Baby Leif isn't getting much airtime here, but it's a lot easier to tell stories about the ones who can talk! I truly enjoyed my time with both of them, and of course loved the time with my sister and Big Leif too.

We had a fantastic trip, complete with some great quality time with my parents in Roanoke. Campbell LOVED both of my parents, and was especially clingy with GrandDad. I was pleased she remembered them and was so fun at their house so they got to see my crazy baby!

We were so ready to get home, we drove 130 mph the whole way. No joke. Sort of. Leaving Northern Virginia, I looked down to see my speedometer say 130 mph. What? Traffic was flying past me, and I thought, man they really do drive fast up north! Then I stopped at a stoplight and it said 60 mph at a dead stop. Great, a broken speedometer! Thankfully, I have a GPS that I could use as my speedometer, but it sure is weird to look down when you're cruising through a residential area and it tells you that you are driving 90mph! The problem seems to be correcting itself, each day it gets a little closer to being accurate. This morning it was down to 2 mph when I was stopped, so maybe I won't have to pay to get it fixed?

Campbell and I were pumped to see Travis because we REALLY missed him. Little did I know he had a surprise waiting for me! He got me a new computer! This post is coming to you from my new MacBook Pro, which is why my pictures are at the top and unorganized. :) There is a bit of a learning curve when switching to a Mac, but I'm learning and will hopefully get better soon. I am so in love with this computer! Not only does it have a "k" key, but it does so many cool things with pictures and video. Travis wrote me a really sweet letter about why he got it for me. Let's just say I was reduced to a crying mess from all the sweet things he said. This blog may get fancier now that I have the capability to do so! I just have to make sure Campbell doesn't get a hold of this keyboard. Thanks, Travis, I really, really love my new toy. And the amazing man who bought it for me.

0 comments: