CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Pancakes-2, Campbell-0

If you've been around for a while, you know about Campbell's food allergies. You may even remember how on her first birthday, Travis and I took Campbell to IHOP for a special birthday treat of her first pancake and scrambled egg. Then you would of course remember how the poor birthday girl broke out in massive hives and we ended up racing to the doctor's office for bloodwork and massive doses of Benadryl to celebrate the big day!


That was our first run in with the pancake. This morning, we had our second. :( Allow me to set the scene for you. Travis is doing a triathlon as I type, his first of the season. His start time was 8:43 a.m. Campbell and I reluctantly decided not to go. The venue wasn't very kid-friendly (I could just see Campbell diving into the indoor pool), and the forecast was calling for temps in the 40's with rain and thunderstorms likely. So us girls stayed home. Me, being 17 weeks pregnant, and suffering from a headcold and a headache, and a little bit bummed to not be watching Travis, decided I would make us a special Sunday breakfast. I decided to make Campbell-friendly pancakes, with Bisquik, soymilk, and her special egg replacers (a powdery substance you mix with water to replace eggs in baking, designed for vegans or people with allergies). I threw in a little of Campbell's applesauce to moisten up the batter, fired up the griddle, and the end result was pretty normal-looking pancakes!

I gave Campbell a few small bites. She told me "mmmmm." So I tore up an entire pancake for her, and even dipped some of her bites into syrup (which had none of her allergens per the label). All was going well. I made myself a plate with 3 pancakes stacked up high once I finished cooking and was just sitting down next to Campbell to enjoy my breakfast when I saw it - her bottom lip was huge. OMG. Everything I've ever read about food allergies says not to worry until you have swelling of the face, lips, or tongue. I freaked. It was 8:39. Couldn't call Travis because he would be standing on the starting block, ready to dive into the pool in 4 minutes. Didn't know if I should stick her with the EpiPen and call 911 or not. I was so scared to make this call on my own! So I did what every grown woman would do...grabbed the children's benadryl and called my Mom. I'm also having the thought - great, I'm in my pj's, barefoot, pregnant, contacts aren't in yet, alone...and I'm going to have to ride in an ambulance like this. Call me vain, but yes, I thought of that.

Campbell's lip went down to normal in no time. Really, from the time I noticed it, it was only swollen for less than 30 seconds I'd say. Got some benadryl in her, ripped the pancakes off her tray, and let my Mom calm me down. We decided I needed to call the on-call nurse to make sure it was OK to quit worrying. The nurse walked me through a bunch a questions. I checked Campbell for hives (there were none), for a swollen tongue (nope), irritable or agitated (yes, but then again I'd just taken away her pancakes). The nurse was super sweet and we determined that Campbell had some reaction, but that she seemed to recover on her own and the benadryl in her system would help.

Who knows what happened? I feel kind of crazy, because her lip was DEFINITELY swollen, and then it was just fine again! My mom pointed out that maybe she bit it? Who knows??? It was swollen enough that I nearly dropped my plate of pancakes and ran for her bag with the benadryl and EpiPen in it. It was definitely scary. Campbell is now 0-2 versus the pancake. I guess she'll have to stick with bananas and dry wheat toast for breakfast from now on. So much for Mommy trying to make a Special Sunday Breakfast for the Girls! :( I'm not sure my heart can handle another incident with those darn pancakes!!! In the meantime, we'll wait patiently for the call from Travis from the finish line and I guess I'll have to fess up and tell him about the nonsense that went on around here this morning!!

0 comments: