CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Paci's and Metallica

It's been quite a week! It's very true what my Mom told me - that as soon as you figure something out about a baby, they change. Be it their routine, their personality...it is constantly changing. A perfect example of this phenomenon is what soothes my baby. On Sunday I would've said it was her paci, hands down. Today, I'd say it's Metallica. :) Keep reading for an explanation way down below.


Starting Monday, I have been entirely on my own while Travis is at work - no Grandmas! I've gotten a taste of what it's like to be home alone all day with a newborn. It's far from easy, but it's definitely doable. I have gotten out of the house with her on several occasions. Today was the biggest ordeal of all. My Thursday morning women's Bible study at church started up again. Not only did we have to be somewhere at a specific time, that specific time happened to be 9:15. That's pretty early for us to get going! It took me a good two hours to get ready and out of the house. But we did it! Campbell somehow managed to make it through the whole morning without fussing, even though I stretched her an hour past her feeding time! I was so proud of her. I dressed her up in adorable pink polka dots and thoroughly enjoyed showing her off. It was very cool to introduce her to these friends since they met me for the first time when I was very pregnant. They have never seen me without a baby on the front of me! Of course I enjoyed letting everyone ooh and aah over her and tell me how sweet my baby is. Campbell wanted to make sure everyone knew she was there. She waited until prayer time to start grunting REALLY loud. The vast majority of the women are stay at home moms, so they seemed to think it was cute and laughed with me. I was a bit nervous about her being disruptive and kept watching the clock, anxious to see if she'd make it home before wailing for food. She did!!! I'm sure each week it'll get a little easier and I'll relax more. Once she's a little older, I'll send her to the nursery instead of keeping her with me. It was really, REALLY nice to get out and see friends, to wear pants with a waistband, to put on make-up, and to have somewhere I "needed" to be.


Also this week, Campbell has kept us on our toes at bedtime. The beginning of the week was pretty brutal. I spent 3 hours one night by her pack-n-play, putting the paci back in her mouth every 3 minutes. The NICU started the paci, and I was cursing the paci on many occasions this week. We adjusted, and have had two good nights, paci-free. For now, paci's are for daytime, and they do save the day at times (i.e. this morning at church, paci was the only reason we made it through the whole two hours!). I also introduced Campbell to the cd her Aunt Jennifer gave her. It's these gorgeous lullabies, very soft, pretty music. But if you listen carefully, you'll find yourself humming along, and realize...oh my God, this is a Metallica song. Yes, that's right, it's Metallica lullabies! So funny, and sooooooooooo my sister. I read that starting a bedtime routine will help Campbell know it's nighttime. So during our night feedings, we listen to Metallica with the lights dim, and rock in her room. (By rock, I mean rock in the rocker, not rock like we're at a Metallica show). She loves it, and I know it will make her Aunt Jen proud. :) Last night the Metallica got her so relaxed, she slept for a five-hour stretch!! Amazing!!!!! I felt like I'd won the lottery when she didn't wake me up until three a.m.



So things are going well, not without challenges...but pretty well. We just have to wake up each day and see what kind of curve ball this sweet baby will throw us that day, and try to adapt. Historically, handling change has not been my forte, but I'm learning and we are all surviving.

Here is a picture of my two favorite people in the whole world. I have dreamed of this image right here for so long. I took this the other night when Travis came home from work. This picture melts me.

1 comments:

Clare said...

so sweet sara!! we are a paci house too, it saved us many a day and night:)