CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 24, 2008

We Are "Ready"

Childbirth class - Check! We did it - yesterday we were scheduled for class from 12-7. On a Sunday. Wow, huh? Luckily we had the instructor we love (same one who has taught several others) and she finished up by 5. It's a good thing too. I hit a wall at about 3. Here I was worried about Travis sticking it out - he was fine, I was the one in bad shape! This Mommy, while entirely interested in the class material, does NOT enjoy sitting for 5 hours at this point. I was hungry, my feet were huge and throbbing, I ached from head to toe, and I was downright cranky! On the way home, Travis stopped and got us some lo mein to share and spring rolls. That, along with the remaining leftover baby shower cake, made me happy again. We came home and watched the Panthers lose :( and made it an early night. Poor Travis...not only did his team lose, he has had an awful headcold this weekend. Way worse than mine ever was. He's doing a little better this morning so hopefully he'll be back to normal soon.

I really thought I'd have some good material this morning. I mean, the idea of childbirth class is a pretty funny thing. But really, it wasn't that bad!! We were both prepared for this terribly graphic, very gorey 7-hour description of pain with lots of nasty visuals. It wasn't like that at all! We were pleasantly surprised that it wasn't very graphic or disgusting at all. Not to say it was a walk in the park...and that we didn't have to suppress a few giggles here and there. I know my Dad passed out in childbirth class years ago. You wouldn't pass out in this class, Dad. Travis was very grateful for that, he too was worried. In fact, he was more appalled at one of the other students in a mostly spandex outfit than he was at anything we learned! I won't be rude and say too much, but let's just say there was NOT a lot left to the imagination in this outfit. And at eight months pregnant, it's preferred to have a lot left to the imagination!! The instructor is my friend because yesterday she told the Dads that a 30-minute massage to a pregnant woman has been shown to produce the same amount of endorphins as 75 mg of Demoral. (I think I got that right). She then showed them a picture of how squished our insides are, and made it clear as to why we ache and get so cranky. So I'm super excited about my 30-minute backrubs a day from here on out!! :) You can't deny science!

Travis wanted to ask our instructor about how my doctor said I was measuring large (i.e. Baby J's growth in size looked to be about 3 weeks ahead of schedule at my last visit). Even though my doctor said it had no bearing, we still wonder if that doesn't mean she'll come early. Or if not, ouch!!!, how big is she?? The teacher was a labor and delivery nurse for 20 years, so while I was on a bathroom break, Travis asked her about it. I came back in, she asked how far along I was, gave me a once-over, and started chuckling. I told her what my doctor said at the last visit. She said, how much did you weigh? I hesitated, I couldn't believe she was asking me how much I weighed at my last doctor's visit in front of the whole class!!! She saw the look on my face, I figured it out...OOOOOOOH, you mean at birth? hahaha I was 8 lbs, 5 oz at birth. She smiled and said I'd probably have a nice big baby too. She seems to think we'll go before our due date because (1) Baby J is big and they won't want her to go late and (2) doctors don't want to work on New Year's Eve or New Year's Day so they're more likely to get things going sooner. Only time will tell! Nanny has predicted December 12, so if that's the case, I've got a lot of nesting to do this week!

So now that we've finished this class, I'd say we're "ready." In quotes, because my gosh, you are never ready. But as much as we possibly can be. If nothing else, we got a little map yesterday of where to go at the hospital when it's time - so if we forget everything else, at least we know where to go and they can take it from there!

These pictures have nothing to do with our childbirth class experience...but they are too cute not to post! This is my niece Taylor and my brother-in-law, Leif. Apparently Taylor insists on wearing her sweatshirt on gamedays now...and she prefers to wear it with the hood up, and no pants, just a diaper. ha! These pictures are priceless, how can you not look at the second without giggling? Fast forward two years, and I can see a similar scene in the Justice house, only in Panthers gear of course!




I'll be sure to get some good family photos this week at Thanksgiving in Roanoke. Think happy thoughts for a quick, easy drive to Virginia and back, that Baby J will enjoy her turkey... and I will come back to NC still pregnant!!!!!

1 comments:

Clare said...

good luck with turkey day!! i am sure you will be fine:0 I can just picture your face in class, hilarious!!