CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Campbell's Baptism

This morning Campbell was baptized. We had family and friends with us to witness this special time in our lives. Today's baptism was a symbol that Campbell belongs to God. Because of our faith, we dedicate her to God. It's kind of like a promise that we will try to raise her in a loving, Christian home, and that we recognize that she is a child of God. And it's our hope that when she's old enough to understand, she'll make the choice to follow her own faith. Today was just the beginning.


Family is an integral part of our lives and establishing the loving environment that we wish for Campbell. This morning Campbell had the honor of wearing the Reid family christening gown. This gown was first worn by my grandmother. We estimate that the gown is about 100 years old! My grandmother is no longer living, but having my daughter in her gown was a tribute to her this morning. The gown was also worn by my Dad (who swears that's the one and only time he has worn a dress), my sister, me and my niece Taylor. If I can be so bold as to say so myself, Campbell looked like a little angel in the antique gown. As my mom and I were dressing her in the white dress this morning, I made some comment about the next time she wears a fancy white gown it will be her wedding day. The words came out of my mouth and stunned me - sometimes I can't even wrap my arms around the idea that she will eventually grow up. And how fast time is already going...I hope we savor every minute!

When it came time for her baptism, she was just perfect. No crying, no fussing, no sleeping, no spitting up! She was calm and alert and the congregation was full of ooh's and aah's for our little girl. It was very touching and a very proud moment for Travis and I.

Following Campbell's baptism, they introduced a little boy, Aidan, in our church who has just been diagnosed with brain cancer. There's a picture of him below. He recently underwent surgery to remove the tumor and starts chemotherapy in a few weeks. He was baptized this morning and there were very few dry eyes in the house. Such a happy moment to see him dedicated to God, yet so scary to think of him going through the biggest battle of his little life. He'll have a whole church full of people that won't be able to get him out of their minds though. He's in good hands now. :)

After church we came back to the house for a big spread of barbeque and all the fixins. It was a wonderful day with our families and friends to celebrate Campbell. Meant the world to us that they were able to be here with us today. She is smiling, laughing and squealing all the time now - we had so much fun with her today.

Thanks to Holly for taking such great pictures of us during the baptism. I'm anxious to also get my Mom's pictures since she took some of Campbell getting ready in her fancy gown, shoes and bracelet. Congratulations Campbell! We will look back at these pictures over the years and tell Campbell about this day.

1 comments:

Clare said...

what a great post sara! It sounds like a great day for campbell and your family!